Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3.5 Average
Jwalamukhi, A MYSTERY
One amongst the 51 Shakti peetha of the country, the Jwalamukhi Temple in Himachal is considered extremely sacred for the Hindus. 30 kms south of Kangra valley in the lap of Shivalik range and 56 kms from Dharamshala, the Jwalamukhi temple is dedicated to the "GODDESS OF LIGHT".

The legend of the Jwalamukhi Temple relates to Sati, She was brought up in the house of Prajapati Daksha and married Lord Shiva later. It is believed that Prajapati Daksha once organized a yajna and invited everyone barring Lord Shiva. Sati felt immensely humiliated at this act of her father and immolated herself in the fire of the havankund. On hearing this, Lord Shiva became so furious that he carried Sati's burnt body and moved around the three world. The gods could foresee a calamity approaching so they assembled before Lord Vishnu and asked him to do something to diffuse the anger of lord Shiva. Lord Vishnu cut apart Sati's body into several pieces with his Sudharshan Chakra. Wherever on earth the pieces of Sati's body fell, a shaktipeeth came up. These are the spot that are regarded as the power centre of the goddess. 

The Jwalamukhi temple is the place where the tongue of Sati fell. Here the goddess is manifested as tiny flames that burn through the fissures in the age old rock. The temple is supposed to be first built by a king who, on the complain of a cowherd, tried to find out the place from where a female emerged and drank the milk of the cow. Since, the king was aware of the legend of Sati, he continued his search for the place and finally succeeded. He constructed a temple there and employed priest to perform pujas. Later, Pandavas came and carried out some renovation work in the temple.

Positioned besides a cliff, Jwalamukhi Mandir is built on a wooden platform in the Indo-Sikh style of architecture. The structural design of the temple is simple, but the religious aura makes it undoubtedly divine. The dome and spire of this temple are covered with Gold. The main door of the shrine is plated with silver. In front of the main shrine, there is a huge brass bell that was presented by the King of Nepal. In this temple, there is no idol because the Goddess is considered to be residing in the form of flames. This temple has nine ceaseless flames that are named as Mahakali, Annapurna, Chandi, Hinglaj, Vindhya Vasini, Mahalakshmi, Saraswati, Ambika and Anji Devi respectively. 

Inside the shrine, there is a pit where several flames are burning. The offerings are made to the Goddess in this same pit. The 'Aartis' at different intervals of the day, are the main attraction of this temple. Usually, an offering of Rabri or thickened milk is made to the goddess. In the temple complex, there are several small shrines including Gorakh Dibbi and Chaturbhuj Temple. These blue flames are coming out from the fissures in the ancient rock. 

The temple also has a great historical significance dating back to the reign of Mughal emperor Akbar. Amazed at the continuity of these flames, he tried to extinguish these by covering them with an iron disk and even channelizing water to them. But the flames blasted all these efforts. Akbar then presented a golden parasol (chattar) at the shrine. However, his cynicism at the power of devi caused the gold to debase into another metal which is still unknown to the world. His belief in the deity was all the more strengthened after this incident. Maharaja Ranjit Singh of Punjab also paid a visit to the temple in the year 1809. The building of the temple has a gilt dome gifted by Him and silver plated folding doors.

Firstly we must understand that a flame can only be produced by burning Fuel. A fuel can be in liquid,solid and gas. The town of Jwalamukhi is situated in the lap of Dhauladhar ranges of Himalayas at an average altitude of 650m. As activities in the Earth’s layers rich in fossil fuels may initiate leakage of certain gases which act as Fuel. But if you go to the place and see, there are 10–12 tiny caves where the flame is burning every time and it appears that the fire can not be ignited by own. The flame does not burn one’s skin at all. It means the fuel is not much volatile. It does not burn to extract entire mass of remaining amount of gases underneath.

Government of India with team of able Geologists under Nehruji has also tried but in vain to establish the source of this eternal flame. The great Indian scientists and geologists failed and even some other scientific researchers failed to validate the reason. According to beliefs, there must be surely some other phenomena that are forming the reason behind this eternal flame. However, till now no scientists or geologists couldn’t predict anything. That might be the ”Supreme Nature” of God.
Finally, everything cannot be tested and verified on principles of science and that is why it is often said: “Where the thinking boundary of Science ends, Region of Spirituality begins”.

1.    The flame burns flawless and in blue color. (Scientifically this signifies complete combustion.)

2.    It is burning continuously since the first date of its known history. (Scientifically the source could be renewable in nature)

3.    To the knowledge of the source, some believe it is nothing but a reserve of natural gas.

Let’s wait for that day when we will get to know the actual reason of these burning flames.

will read soon;
[-] The following 2 users Like Ronit 's post:
  • Madhumita , Vishnu
interesting, a bit tough for me but its good info, always learning new things from you all.  Smile
[-] The following 1 user Likes Ron 's post:
  • Madhumita
I have heard about this famous temple in india but your article explained it nicely.
[-] The following 3 users Like sandy 's post:
  • Madhumita , Ronshaan , Vishnu
(02-04-2018, 11:02 AM)Ron Wrote: interesting, a bit tough for me but its good info, always learning new things from you all.  Smile

Thank You for taking out time & reading. I can understand it's difficult for you to understand, but still you give it a chance. Hope you don't have any doubt, if you have please freely ask. Will post more such type of information. Loads of Love.
[-] The following 2 users Like Madhumita 's post:
  • Ronit , Vishnu
(02-04-2018, 11:17 AM)sandy Wrote: I have heard about this famous temple in india but your article explained it nicely.

Thank You for reading. I am glad that you liked. Loads of Love.
[-] The following 2 users Like Madhumita 's post:
  • sandy , Vishnu
bohut hi mana jata hai yeh mandir, main kabhi gaya nahi par kafi suna hua ha
[-] The following 1 user Likes Vishnu 's post:
  • Madhumita
(02-04-2018, 06:13 PM)Madhumita Wrote:
(02-04-2018, 11:02 AM)Ron Wrote: interesting, a bit tough for me but its good info, always learning new things from you all.  Smile

Thank You for taking out time & reading. I can understand it's difficult for you to understand, but still you give it a chance. Hope you don't have any doubt, if you have please freely ask. Will post more such type of information. Loads of Love.

Thank you, haan it was a bit difficult for me but i tried :Smile it is always good to learn new things from friends  Smile
[-] The following 1 user Likes Ronit 's post:
  • Madhumita
(03-04-2018, 08:32 AM)Vishnu Wrote: bohut hi mana jata hai yeh mandir, main kabhi gaya nahi par kafi suna hua ha

Yes. It's a very famous temple. I visited there & it's a tremendous feeling. Thanks Vishnu for reading.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Madhumita 's post:
  • Ronshaan
This is very interesting for me!!!!  smile smile smile smile

Especially since I am watching the show Shaktipeeth Ke Bhairav on Big Magic now!!!! biggrin

You wrote in detail about this temple!!!! clap clap clap clap

So Akbar was suitably humbled by our Goddess!!!!  Giggle

Somethings cannot be explained I guess!!!! Smile

Wonderful to know about this temple in detail!!!! big smile big smile big smile big smile

Very well written Madhu!!!! Clapping
[-] The following 3 users Like Shaina 's post:
  • Madhumita , Ronit , sandy